Committee Formed to Investigate Attack on Military Police
KARACHI : A 9 member committee headed by Deputy Inspector General (DIG) South Dr Jameel has been formed to probe the attack on the Military Police that left two personnel martyred.
The committee will report on the developments on daily basis.
Reportedly, the law enforcement institutions in a high level meeting in Karachi have resolved to form the probe committee which is headed by the DIG South and includes Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) West, SSP Investigation South, SSP South, SSP Special Investigation Unit (SIU) and SSP City.
The committee has been assigned the task of identifying and arresting the terrorists. It will start the investigation process from the clues obtained through the CCTV footages and images and will report on the developments on daily basis.
As per notification, the committee will remain functional until the suspects are arrested. The committee’s head is authorized to seek help from anyone in Karachi range.
Intelligence agencies on Wednesday have detained two suspects of attack on Military Police (MP) vehicle on December 1 that claimed lives of two personnel.
Agencies have detained two suspects in a raid near Cantonment Station. Intelligence agencies have also stated that geo-fencing of at least 1,700 SIMs has been done.
Police have recorded statements of eyewitnesses in Paradi Police Station. South DIG has mentioned possibility of foreign extremist group’s involvement in the attack.
On the other hand, Pakistan Rangers has announced Rs 25 lac reward for anyone who gives a tipoff in bid to catch culprits behind attack.
Earlier on December 1, two unidentified armed men opened fire on a Military Police (MP) vehicle near Tibet Centre on MA Jinnah Road that claimed lives of two personnel.
Late constable Rashid and lance naik Arshad will be laid to rest today in native areas. The funeral prayers of the two were offered at PNS Shifa on Tuesday night which were attended by Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) Admiral Zakaullah, Corps Commander Karachi Lieutenant General Naveed Mukhtar and other officials.
PM Nawaz has offered condolences to the families of martyrs and has taken notice of the incident in addition to ordering immediate arrest of the attackers.
Federal Minister for Information and Broadcast Pervez Rashid has also expressed sorrow over the incident. He has vowed not to let the attackers get away from the dastardly attack on the lives of the uniformed personnel.
Sindh Home Ministry took notice of the incident while Chief Minister (CM) Qaim Ali Shah summoned a report from Sindh Police IG.
On the other hand, Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Raheel Sharif said that every possible step would be taken to arrest the culprits behind attack on MP.
In a statement, General Sharif said that the purpose of attack on MP is to sabotage the progress made in Operation Zarb-e-Azb. He said that intelligence agencies have been directed to arrest the culprits. The COAS said that such dastardly acts will not hinder the country’s ability to fight terrorism.
Source : Dunya News